Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

Father's Day was always something that I didn't understand growing up. My father was never a "dad" and surely not worth celebrating. When I was younger I used to get irritated at my friends that couldn't play on Father's Day... I was never around a man that was a good father. I loved both of my grandpa's but neither was a prize winning dad. I truly never knew what a good dad was until I had Jon, and Nathan became a dad. Wow... I know I'm biased but Nathan is THE BEST dad I have ever known.
I watch him with Ethan and see how easily it comes to him... well that's now, that surely wasn't the case 9 years ago :-) Boy was he nervous with Jon! I have a picture (some may know of this picture) and it's one of my very favorites. It's a picture that my mom took of Nathan right before he went into the delivery room when I was having my c-section with Jon. I guess he looked like a wreck and my mom told him to give a pose and he did a muscle man pose, in his smocks! The funny thing is that just minutes before that he and my mom were yelling at me to push Jon out! I was pushing and pushing and had been for at least an hour (was in labor for 24) and I finally looked at Nate as he held my hand and I told him I was going to die. He looked at my mom with a really serious face and said "is she really going to die?" my mom of course said no Nathan she is not going to die and then turned to me and said Brigette you're not going to die, now PUSH!
After a c-section the dad runs off with the nurse and baby/babies... I LOVE those pictures! He had no idea how he was going to hold both the twins at once, and he did so right away! He said that he had to be sitting though :-)



I am so proud of the father Nathan has become. Yes Nathan is a 10 year old in a 30 year old body most of the time, but it can be a great asset. He keeps us all laughing and running around. He's that guy that runs into garbage cans and knocks things down just to make us laugh, and it does.
Nate was a great dad for Jon's first 7 years but I really don't think that he realized what a little girl could do to shake that up. Alyssa left the hospital weighing 4.11lbs. And that little doll just melted into Nathan. She was the easier baby so for the first 2 weeks or so he mostly took care of her. She slept with him. Their bond is beyond what I ever thought a father/daughter bond was. Aly adores Nate and her smile shows it every time she sees him. When she needs someone to comfort her, Nathan is sometimes the only one that she'll go to. She has to have her shots first because she has to have daddy hold her, while I hold Jake. Nathan told me once he had a daughter his love for his kids changed. "There's something extra special about a girl".


Let me also add that of course Nathan isn't perfect and I do see the flaws... When I'm able to get out of the house for a couple hours I have to make sure I put all of the food the kids will eat out on the counter, or else they eat frozen pancakes all day long. I also have to change their clothes or they stay in their jammies all day long. I also have to pack up their shoes or else they are barefoot everywhere they go.
So Father's Day Nate wanted to shoot off his rocket. He got it for his birthday last year and built it probably 6 months ago and decided that Sunday was the big day. We didn't want the twins to go so him and Jon went. Here are the pictures.





It looks like they had a great time! They rocket made it safely home and I can't wait till the next time so we can all go.
As most know, Nathan is all about the food!!! So Saturday night we bbq'd lobster tails, shrimp ka-bob's and flounder. It was great! I also made him his favorite snacks on Father's Day, shrimp dip and cheese and salsa dip. Taco's are for dinner tonite which is also his favorite so he's a happy very full man!
I love you Nate!

No comments:

Post a Comment